Maine Association of Assessing Officers
Executive Board Meeting
Friday, May 26, 2006
Spruce Point Inn – Boothbay Harbor
Attendance: Bill Healey, Martine Painchaud, Darryl McKenney, Dan Robinson, Roger Hoy, Beth Bowdoin, Lisa Morin, Anne Gregory, Tammy Brown, Lona LaFrancis, Joan Kiszely.
Absent: Joe Grube, Steve LeMay, and Lillian Smith.
Guest: Marian Anderson
Call to Order: President William Healey called the meeting to order at 10:10 a.m. He welcomed everyone. He noted that he feels the upcoming conference in the fall will be a success.
Secretary’s Report: A motion was made by Darryl McKenn ey to approve the minutes of March 17, 2006 as presented. Martine Painchaud seconded the motion. All approved.
Treasurer’s Report: Martine Painchaud handed out the financial report to date for the Executive Board’s review. Motion made by Dan Robinson, seconded by Tammy Brown, all approved the financial report. It was noted that about 17 members have not paid their dues.
- Audit/Finance: Dan Robinson – No report
- Calendar: Bill Healey noted that Lil Smith sent him information for him to report on. She wanted discussion in regards to advertisement in the Newsletter. The board would like Joan to check how many members are using the Web site. The board also wants Joan to email Bill Heal ey a sample Web site policy on advertising from the other Affiliate Groups. Brief discussion on what the cost is to run an ad in regards to posting a job position. Joan suggested for them to contact Mike Starn to see what his fees are in the Townsman.
- Newsletter: Anne reported that she would Draft a Presidents Message for Bill and include something in regards to the upcoming fall conference. There will be an article on Fair & Equitable. She will also put something in conjunction with IAAO & MAAO. She reviewed the different articles she will put in the upcoming newsletters. Brief discussion on the upcoming MMA Convention. Bill Healey reported about the new format. It was noted that Mike Starn would be holding a conference call to go over the new format. Bill noted he would express that the board would still like to do their own program on Thursday. Bill reported that a General Session should be on “ What do you do to meet Standards when you don’t have the support behind you? Newsletter will go out in July. Lisa volunteered to gather the Advertisements & work on the calendar this year. She will mentor Lillian Smith this year. The change over of officers is January 1 st.
- Education/Conference: Dan Robinson reported he would give Ann Gregory the list of speakers for the Fall Conference to put in the upcoming newsletter. Dan noted that they have a set schedule for the fall conference. He isn’t sure about a golf tournament for the fall conference and if there is any interest. Maybe put the question out on the list serve to see if there is any interest. If there is enough interest (possible 30) to make it viable. We would let the vendors know if we move forward on this idea. They would do this Thursday. He reviewed the schedule with the board. Brief discussion on offering a Golf Tournament, Whale Watching, or tour of a
Botanical Gardens. Marianne will get me information on the Gardens to put in the brochure.
- Northern Maine Seminar: Bill reported that 24 were in attendance to this seminar. He noted that Lillian reported to him that they had revenue of $200 from this seminar. She said the Evaluations provided some topics for next year and that 6 new members joined.
Fall Seminar: Martine Painchaud distributed the Draft Vendor Packet &Attendance Packet. Dan Robinson reported on the proposed Agenda for the conference.
- Ethics: Joe Grube absent – no report
- Legislative: Steve LeMay absent – no report
- Membership: Martine Painchaud noted membership was going well.
- Scholarship: Martine Painchaud reported that last year we gave 4 scholarships, which totaled approximately $1,000. It was noted that scholarship applications are difficult. It was suggested to give all a scholarship that has submitted this year. We need to budget for this in the future. There were three applications submitted for Orono, and three for Spruce Point to date. They asked Joan Kiszely to email Bill Healey a sample policy from the MTCMA scholarship program for towns to go at a reduce rate for education. Motion made by Dan Robinson to accept all 6 applications that have been submitted to date to fund up to $300 a piece for a scholarship, seconded by Lisa Morin, all approved. One abstained. They have to submit all receipts to Martine Painchaud.
- Ideas on MAAO Brochure: Darryl McKenney gave some ideas for the brochure. Everyone will take the Draft and work on it and bring it back to the next meeting.
- It was reported that Amanda Simpson took a job in New Gloucester and this has left a vacancy on the board. Motion made by Bill Healey, seconded by Anne Gregory, all approved Marian Anderson to fill the position on the board.
- Maine Clerk’s Association looking for sponsors: Bill Healey noted he received a letter from MTCCA seeking a donation. Motion made by Martine Painchaud, seconded by Marian Anderson, to not even discuss this matter and to donate nothing to them, all approved.
Other New Business:
- Next Board meeting is July 21 st, 2006 at MMA.
- Anne Gregory made some suggestion in regards to the Newsletter. She will get all the towns from Joan (MMA) to offer a free issue to the towns to those who are not a member. She also would like everyone to market Spruce Point, wants the Executive Board to do some outreach with the members.
Adjournment: Motion made by Dan Robinson, seconded by Martine Painchaud, to adjourn the meeting at noon.
Click Here to download the Minutes