Maine Association of Assessing Officers
Executive Board Meeting
Friday, January 26, 2007
Maine Municipal Association
Attendance: Bill Healey, Daniel Robinson – (conference phone), Roger Hoy, Martine Painchaud, Joe Grube, Anne Gregory, Marian Anderson, Lona Francis, Steve LeMay, Tammy Brown, Joan Kiszely.
Absent: Elizabeth Bowdoin, Darryl McKenney, Lisa Morin
Call to Order: President William Healey called the meeting to order at 10:15 a.m.
Secretary’s Report: Joe Grube made a motion to accept the minutes of November 3, 2006, seconded by Martine Painchaud. All approved with an amendment that Marian’s name is spelled Marian.
Treasurer’s Report: Martine Painchaud handed out the financial report to date for the Executive Board’s review. Anne Gregory made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s Report, seconded by Tammy Brown. All approved. Steve Lemay wants to go on record that he has paid his dues. Martine noted she did get more in but didn’t have time to add them to the report.
- Budget: Bill Healey reported on the Proposed Budget he handed out. Martine Painchaud would like MMA to record a breakdown only on the Fall Conference. Example: Vendors, Speakers, Facility, conference registration etc and send to her after the conference and billing are completed. Martine Painchaud noted that MAAO has a separate checking account and a credit card for the group.
Event Liability Insurance: Bill Healey gave an update to why they were looking at this insurance. He reported that Joan Kiszely gave him some sample insurance copies from the other groups. He is still waiting on some proposals.
There was a question about the Webpage cost. Lengthy discussion on the budget. Motion made by Anne Gregory to accept the budget as presented, seconded by Martine Painchaud, all approved.
- Advertisers: Bill Healey was hoping to see what vendors were paying for ads in the calendar, but with Lisa Morin not being here he cannot give us an answer. He is hoping to give vendors some options. Bill Healey would like to contact their vendors and give them 6 months free on the website. Joan Kiszely reviewed the MTCMA website policy. Discussion on tier pricing and package the pricing of ads. Maybe up the cost and cut the production. Consensus they will charge $400 for all three (package). $150 for website and calendar, and $200 for the newsletter. A letter will go out from the President to update them on the fee structure. The new rates will be effective September 1 st, 2007. Joan Kiszely will email Bill Healey the MTCMA website policy. They would like Joan Kiszely to put out at every meeting the Vendor list (or email every month) for them to put in their Administrative Guide.
- Website: Bill Healey reported about Langer Enterprises to be our Website master. He will design the website with input from a committee. Dan suggested that we should get a few mock ups/design and then have them choose. The board at this point is the communication committee. Anne Gregory made a motion to hire Langer Enterprises to be their Webmaster, and for Martine Painchaud to take the lead on being the contact person for Todd Langhill as the Representative of the Board, seconded by Dan Robinson, all approved.
- Spruce Point Inn: Bill Healey thanked Joan Kiszely to getting the refund back from Spruce Point of $1,000.
- Audit/Finance: Dan Robinson – no report
- Calendar: No report
- Newsletter: Anne Gregory - no report
- Education/Conference: Dan Robinson reported that he talked with Bill Healey about the Survey. The Advanced courses it looks like what the members want. If we go to a facility that can give us two meeting rooms, maybe we could offer two courses at the same time. Anne Gregory requested Dan to hold an Education meeting to discuss the fall program. He is not too concern about the instructor cost. Brief discussion on inviting IAAO and offering them courses more advanced at our Fall Conference. Steve LeMay noted that the timing of inviting IAAO is good timing because of some changes. He noted that we could invite someone from the Tax Division to the February meeting. Anne Gregory questioned who is on the committee? Dan noted that the members who were on this committee last year could stay on it this year. There are 8 people on the Education Committee. He will schedule a meeting the first of February. One topic could be on Cell phone towers. The board is in consensus that it would be good to offer a little bit more on education. Maybe try and do a survey/evaluation at the end of the conference. Steve asked Anne Gregory if a correction could be noted in the next newsletter. Under his article there was an error. Dan will email the Education meeting with a date & time
- Ethics: Joe Grube – no report
- Legislative: Bill Healey will keep everyone updated. Dan Robinson asked if the Board has seen and knows about LD 261.
- Membership: Martine Painchaud reported 230 members to date.
- Scholarship: Martine Painchaud noted this mailing has been mailed out.
- Selection of Fall Conference Site: Joan Kiszely reviewed the sites and gave an update on all sites. Bill Healey will not be voting because of Conflict of Interest because his father works at Sebasco. Lengthy discussion on selection of fall conference between Spruce Point & Sebasco. Set up overnight room with meals included. They do not want a separation on the rooms and meals.
Billing and process of the meals and overnight will be brought up at the February meeting.
Bill Healey had everyone go talk about what his or her wishes were on which site.
Motion by Dan Robinson, seconded by Marian Anderson, all approved to go to Spruce Point this year for this year’s conference.
Joan Kiszely will look into holding the May meeting at Sebasco to see the site. It was noted that the May meeting date would need to be changed. Dan Robinson suggested that the owner put a note in the Fall Conference packet welcoming them back. They do not want a separation on the rooms and meals possible.
- Liability Insurance: Motion made by Roger Hoy, seconded by Marian Anderson, all approved for Bill Healey to move on selecting a liability insurance.
- Correspondence: Bill Healey noted that he got an email & phone call from First American Tax Service want to be an advertiser and vendor.
- Spruce Point: Letter from the owners apologizing.
Other Items of Interest: None
Adjournment: Motion made by Martine Painchaud, seconded by Joe Grube, all approved to adjourn the meeting at 12:25 p.m.
Click Here to download the Minutes