Maine Association of Assessing Officers
Executive Board Meeting
Friday March 28, 2008
Maine Municipal Association
10:00 a.m.

Present: Martine Painchaud, Anne Gregory, Tammy Brown, Lisa Morin, Darryl McKenney, Roger Hoy, Marion Cadrette-Anderson, Joe Grube, Elizabeth Bowdoin, Dan Robinson (phone), Joan Kiszely.

Excused Absent: Steve Lemay, Lona LaFrances, Bill Healey, Rick Mace.

Call to Order: President Anne Gregory called the meeting to order at 10:15 a.m.

Secretary’s Report – The minutes of February 15 th, 2008 were presented. Motion made by Tammy Brown, seconded by Marion Cadrette-Anderson to accept the February 15, 2008, all approved.

Treasurer’s Report: Nothing outstanding. Everything is updated. The balance is $4,002.34. Motion made by Marion, seconded by Beth Bowdoin, all approved.

Old Business

Committee Reports:

  • Conference Committee: Speaker Expense: Dan Robinson gave a report on the expenses for the year 2006. He noted that we paid for David Broadwell’s flight. The other speakers only paid for overnight & meals. In 2007, it was noted that they paid for the speakers overnight & meals.
  • There was a brief discussion on what expenses they would anticipate to incur for the upcoming 2008 expenses. It was noted that we would have speaker expenses, facility final bill expenses, gifts for speakers, MMA Expenses – printing of brochure, postage, confirmations with directions, program, signage, mileage, misc. The Conference Committee will come up with a proposed budget and bring back to the Board. The Education Committee will also need to meet.

Education Update for the Conference:

  • Dan Robinson reported that we could get a technical session. Anne Gregory reviewed last year’s sessions. They are looking at 3 or 4 speakers over a period of two days.

Topics that were suggested:

    • Vernal Pool
    • Law Issues – Tree Growth & Working Water Front
    • Conservation Easement
    • LD Update – Half Day
    • GIS
    • GPS
    • Mock Trail – Board Assessment of Review. They could have a Defendant, Assessor, and Moderator.
    • IAAO Topics: House Construction & Design.

Audit & Finance: Beth Bowdoin noted that she has not chosen any committee members at this time. The audit would take place the end of the year.

Calendar Report/Advertisers: Lisa Morin noted that her committee hasn’t met yet. She is trying to come up with one form to put everything together.

Newsletter Chair: Tammy Brown noted the newsletter would go out the second week of April. She is waiting on a couple of articles.

Ethics Committee: Joe Grube noted they would only meet on an as needed basis.

Legislative Committee: Marion reported that John Anderson (her manager) sits on the LPC. John Anderson has set it up so she gets a packet from LPC and can get updates.

Membership Chair: Roger Hoy reported that we have 15 new members since March. Roger reported he would like to target colleges with a flyer or poster to market their membership. They could go to the MAAO website to get the application to join. It was discussed that maybe putting the flyer or ad out electronically. Roger Hoy noted he would write up something like “Two Absolutes in Life, Death & Taxes” for information in the Tax field, visit this website. He noted that 35 have not paid to date. It was noted that Joan Kiszely needs to put yellow dots on the badges at the Conference.

Scholarship Committee: Martine Painchaud reported she has two applications. She reported their names are Carol Kelly, and Nick Desjardin. She will get the information to the Scholarship Committee and present a recommendation to the Board of Directors.

Conference Registration & Meals: Lengthy discussion on whether or not to include the meals into the registration or have them a la carte. They will let the Conference Committee meet and come back with a recommendation.

New Business
  • Executive Board: Anne Gregory noted that the Executive Board met to discuss doing general job descriptions.
  • Maine Library Geo Information Packet: Anne Gregory reported that she received a letter to request an Assessor to serve on this committee. The Board feels that Judy Mathiau or Paul Castonguay might be interested in serving on this committee.
  • Fund Raising Ideas: Brief discussion on possible Silent Auction. Anne Gregory would like Board Members to reach out to other members to see if they would be willing to assist with something. They need to be looking for new members to get involved with MAAO and possibly serve on the board. They would like every Board Member to bring one item for the Silent Auction.
  • Website: The Contract ran out January 5, 2008. Tammy Brown reported that we should get a new 2008 contract from Langer Enterprises. She wanted to know if we need a contract. Martine Painchaud noted that she gets a bill when he does any maintenance to the Website.
  • May 2, 2008: Joan Kiszely will contact Rachelle at Atlantic Oakes to change the meeting time to 10:00 a.m.

Adjournment: Motion made by Joe Grube, seconded by Martine Painchaud, all approved to adjourn the meeting at 12:20 p.m.

Click Here to download the Minutes

Serving the Educational Needs of Maine's Assessing Community
Disclaimer: MAAO accepts no responsibility for the use of information on or from this site, although we will strive to make sure all information is accurate. Materials on this site are provided for general informational and educational purposes only. MAAO is a member based organization; the purpose of this website is to assist Maine Assessors and to keep its members informed. Web links are not intended as referrals or endorsements of the linked entities.