Maine Association of Assessing Officers
Executive Board Meeting
Friday May 2, 2008
Atlantic Oaks, Bar Harbor
10:00 a.m.

PRESENT: Anne Gregory, Martine Painchaud, Dan Robinson, Marian Cadrette-Anderson, Rick Mace, Tammy Brown, Roger Hoy, Lona LaFrancis, Elizabeth Bowdoin, Joan Kiszely.

ABSENT: Darryl McKenney.

EXCUSED ABSENT: Bill Healey, Steve Lemay, Lisa Morin, Joe Grube.

Call to Order: President Anne Gregory called the meeting to order at 10:00 a.m.

Secretary’s Report: Motion made by Marian Cadrette-Anderson, seconded by Roger Hoy, all approved the Report for March 7, 2008.

Treasurer’s Report: Martine Painchaud reported that as of yesterday the balance in the checking account is $1,501.02. She reported there are no outstanding bills at this time. Motion made by Dan Robinson, seconded by Marian Cadrette-Anderson, all approved the April’s Treasurer’s Report.

Old Business

Committee Reports:

Education/Conference

    • 2007 Chair Dan Robinson reported that Martine and he met in Kennebunk to draft a MAAO Conference Budget. He reviewed the Budget and noted some things may change.
  • He reported on the Tentative Schedule:
    • Wednesday’s Draft Program
    • Welcome Remarks & Registration
    • Vendor Showcase
    • Tree Growth Issue: Maine Forestry Department will come and speak
    • 2:00 p.m. – Public Land Taking - Bernstein & Shur
    • Thursday’s Draft Program
    • Mock Board of Assessment Trial
    • IAAO – President Paul Briscom’s presentation still not decided on at this time
    • Friday’s Draft Program
    • Legislative Update
    • Dan reported that they want to save on printing and postage cost. Ideas on saving money were as follows:
      • He reported that he could link the brochure.
      • The brochure can be sent out via the MAAO Membership List Serve.
      • The brochure can be sent out to the Clerks, and Manager’s List Serve with permission from MTCCA & MTCMA. We would ask the Clerks to post in their office.
      • Contact Maine Revenue to get their mailing list.
      • Joan to get permission to send a blast email to all towns/cities that have email regarding the Fall Conference brochure.
      • Townsman: See if Mike will run something about the Fall Conference in the June Townsman or July Townsman.
      • Joan to make sure it goes on the MMA website. After all lists have been compared, the Board is to let me know if we can mail hardcopy to those with no email address

Conference Subcommittee:

  • Budget: Facilities Report: Dan reported that they met with Joan to review what other groups are charging for a fee to Conferences. Anne reviewed the fees that they drafted. The were as followed:
  • REGISTRATION FEES
    • OPTION ONE: ATTENDING TWO ½ DAYS – FULL CONFERENCE – September 17-19, 2008
      TOTAL FEE: Members: $175.00 Non-Members: $
      THE FEE INCLUDES:
      WEDNESDAY – Continental, A.M. & P. M. Breaks, Hot Lunch Buffet
      THURSDAY – Hot Buffet Breakfast, A.M. & P.M. Breaks, Hot Lunch Buffet
      FRIDAY – Hot Buffet Breakfast, A. M. Break.
    • OPTION TWO: ATTENDING ONE DAY ONLY
      WEDNESDAY – SEPTEMBER 17th
      TOTAL FEE: Members - $80.00 Non-Members: $100.00
      THE FEE INCLUDES: Continental, A.M. & P. M. Breaks, Hot Lunch Buffet.
      THURSDAY – SEPTEMBER 18th
      TOTAL FEE: Members - $80.00 Non-Members: $100.00
      THE FEE INCLUDES: Hot Buffet Breakfast, A.M. & P.M. Breaks, Hot Lunch Buffet.
    • OPTION THREE: ATTENDING FRIDAY ONLY
      SEPTEMBER 19th
      TOTAL FEE: Members - $17.00 Non-Members: $25.00
      THE FEE INCLUDES: Hot Buffet Breakfast, A.M. Break
    • OPTION FOUR: WEDNESDAY DINNER-OPTIONAL
      SEPTEMBER 17th
      CHOOSE ONE: Lobster Bake $40.00 Southern BBQ $24.00
      A LA CARTE MEALS FOR GUEST ONLY
      WEDNESDAY – SEPTEMBER 17 th - ALL FOOD INCLUSIVE $28.00
      SEE ABOVE FOR MEALS THAT ARE INCLUDED
      THURSDAY – SEPTEMBER 18 th - ALL FOOD INCLUSIVE $34.00
      SEE ABOVE FOR MEALS THAT ARE INCLUDED
      FRIDAY – SEPTEMBER 19 TH – ALL FOOD INCLUSIVE $17.00
      SEE ABOVE FOR MEALS THAT ARE INCLUDED
      TOTAL ENCLOSED:
  • NOTE: ALL MEALS WILL BE IN THE CADILLAC ROOM IN THE MAIN BUILDING DOWNSTAIRS.
  • It was noted that if we market the Conference, Martine feels we could really increase the numbers. Also, maybe note on the brochure to encourage to car pool.
  • Schedule/Timeline: Brochure to go out by June. Jaime will send to the Board members to review, but all Board members are to give Dan any suggestions/changes.

Committee chairs’ goals for Conference:

  • Silent Auction: Everyone was asked to give a list of what they are going to donate for the Silent Auction. This information needs to go into the brochure. Rick Mace will send Joan a flyer about this.
  • Reduce printing & postage.
  • Marketing.
  • Vendors: Rick Mace distributes a list of some other Vendors we can market. MMA can continue to do a Vendor Packet and mail this out.
  • Board members to have more of a part in the Conference.
  • Committee Description: Reaching out to the members at a luncheon. Joan to have table plaques done up for: Membership Committee, Newsletter Committee, Education Committee, Finance Committee, Convention Committee, etc.
  • Activities: Anne will look into a Brewer tour, Winery tour, College of the Atlantic tour.
  • Badges: Contact the Vendor to get him a free space and do up picture badges for the Conference for all attendees coming.
  • Shirts: Board members to wear the polo shirts to the Conference.
  • Northern Workshop Report: Lona noted it was a success. She gave a brief update on the Workshop and the speakers. Martine will send Lona a final.

Audit/Finance

  • 2007 Chair Beth Bowdoin report.

Calendar/Advertisers

  • Chair Lisa Morin – Absent.

Newsletter

  • Editor Tammy Brown reported the next newsletter would be going out in June. She would like all articles the third week of June. Lona will provide an update on the Northern Conference.

Ethics

  • Chair Joe Grube report.

Legislative

  • Chair Marian reported she would give Tammy a Legislative Update.

Membership

  • Chair Roger Hoy reported he wants something to go out to the colleges to draw people into the profession. He would use their website as a tool to show some interests in belonging to MAAO.

Scholarship

  • Chair Martine Painchaud reported that this year they shouldn’t give a scholarship out this year. Dan and her reviewed the applications and felt that the applicants did not qualify.

 New Business

  • 2008 Budget process.
  • Executive Board: Anne will schedule a meeting at some point to go over their responsibilities.
  • Other.
  • Tour of facilities.

Motion made by Martine Painchaud, seconded by Roger Hoy, all approved to adjourn the meeting at 12:30 p.m.

Click Here to download the Minutes

Serving the Educational Needs of Maine's Assessing Community
Disclaimer: MAAO accepts no responsibility for the use of information on or from this site, although we will strive to make sure all information is accurate. Materials on this site are provided for general informational and educational purposes only. MAAO is a member based organization; the purpose of this website is to assist Maine Assessors and to keep its members informed. Web links are not intended as referrals or endorsements of the linked entities.